Picroft stops responding after one answer?

Hey, setup picroft on a pi 3 (v1.2), paired it and then when I try and ask it a question I get 1 response and then the audio line goes dead. You can hear static in the background of the speaker until 1 response is given, then the static goes away and you no longer get any more responses…

I was wondering if anybody has heard of this problem before? Is there anyway to get a readout of the Mycrofts responses instead of only hearing them?

Pretty new to this, so any information / guides would be appreciated… thanks !!

-z

If you ssh into the pi you should have a console that shows the spoken and answered words.

Hi there @zodsrc I replied in Chat as well - you can SSH into the device using pi@IPADDRESS and password mycroft then run mycroft-cli-client to see what’s happening.

Thanks for the quick repsonses…

I SSH’d in but it’s no different than having my monitor hooked into the HDMI:

Remote session

In a few moments you will see the contents of the speech log.  Hit
Ctrl+C to stop showing the log and return to the command line.  You will
still be able to speak to Mycroft after that, only the display of the
log will cease.  To see the live log again, type:
    view_log

Additional commands you can use from the command line:
    msm - Mycroft Skills Manager, install new Skills from Github
    cli - command line client
    say - one-shot commands from the command line
    test_microphone - record and playback to test your microphone

ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.iec958
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.hdmi
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.hdmi
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.modem
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.modem
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.phoneline
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.phoneline
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1022:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
2018-10-04 15:07:32,908 - mycroft.messagebus.client.ws - INFO - Connected
2018-10-04 15:07:33,526 - mycroft.client.speech.mic - DEBUG - Waiting for wake word...
^Cpi@picroft:~ $ python say_command.py "Hey Mycroft, what time is it?"
2018-10-04 15:17:30,344 - mycroft.configuration - DEBUG - Configuration '/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mycroft_core-0.8.1-py2.7.egg/mycroft/configuration/mycroft.conf' loaded
2018-10-04 15:17:30,345 - mycroft.configuration - DEBUG - Configuration '/etc/mycroft/mycroft.conf' loaded
2018-10-04 15:17:30,348 - mycroft.configuration - DEBUG - Configuration '/home/pi/.mycroft/mycroft.conf' not found
2018-10-04 15:17:32,734 - requests.packages.urllib3.connectionpool - DEBUG - Starting new HTTPS connection (1): api.mycroft.ai
2018-10-04 15:17:33,255 - requests.packages.urllib3.connectionpool - DEBUG - https://api.mycroft.ai:443 "GET /v1/device//setting HTTP/1.1" 401 38
2018-10-04 15:17:33,277 - mycroft.configuration - WARNING - Failed to fetch remote configuration: HTTPError(u'The supplied authentication is invalid',)
Creating client
2018-10-04 15:17:33,299 - mycroft.messagebus.client.ws - INFO - Connected
Connected, speaking to Mycroft...'Hey Mycroft, what time is it?'
sent!
pi@picroft:~ $

I asked what time it was by typing pressing Ctrl+C and typing: "python say_command.py "Hey Mycroft, what time is it?

I got a response from the speaker of 3:19 - right after the audio is played the background noise that was playing out of the speaker ever since it booted went silent…

I asked again, no answer, and it remains in this silent state until I reboot the pi and then the hum of the speaker returns until I ask it 1 question and then the audio shuts off again, i would like to turn on some sort of text output to see where the problem is - is it audio? is it a programming error? should I reimage the SD card?

-z

The answer never appeared in text in the SSH terminal either - am I doing something wrong, do I have to type a command for it to output text?

ran mycroft-cli-client,
result:

pi@picroft:~ $ mycroft-cli-client
2018-10-04 15:27:42,805 - mycroft.configuration - DEBUG - Configuration '/usr/lo                                                                                                                                                             cal/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mycroft_core-0.8.1-py2.7.egg/mycroft/configurati                                                                                                                                                             on/mycroft.conf' loaded
2018-10-04 15:27:42,806 - mycroft.configuration - DEBUG - Configuration '/etc/my                                                                                                                                                             croft/mycroft.conf' loaded
2018-10-04 15:27:42,806 - mycroft.configuration - DEBUG - Configuration '/home/p                                                                                                                                                             i/.mycroft/mycroft.conf' not found
2018-10-04 15:27:43,211 - requests.packages.urllib3.connectionpool - DEBUG - Sta                                                                                                                                                             rting new HTTPS connection (1): api.mycroft.ai
2018-10-04 15:27:43,666 - requests.packages.urllib3.connectionpool - DEBUG - htt                                                                                                                                                             ps://api.mycroft.ai:443 "GET /v1/device//setting HTTP/1.1" 401 38
2018-10-04 15:27:43,676 - mycroft.configuration - WARNING - Failed to fetch remo                                                                                                                                                             te configuration: HTTPError(u'The supplied authentication is invalid',)
  Carnegie Mellon University, Copyright (c) 1999-2011, all rights reserved
  version: mimic-2.0.0-release Dec 2014 (http://cmuflite.org)
Input:
2018-10-04 15:27:43,758 - mycroft.messagebus.client.ws - INFO - Connected
^C2018-10-04 15:28:02,920 - CLIClient - ERROR -
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mycroft_core-0.8.1-py2.7.egg/mycr                                                                                                                                                             oft/client/text/main.py", line 61, in main
    line = sys.stdin.readline()
KeyboardInterrupt
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/mycroft-cli-client", line 14, in <module>
    load_entry_point('mycroft-core==0.8.1', 'console_scripts', 'mycroft-cli-clie                                                                                                                                                             nt')()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mycroft_core-0.8.1-py2.7.egg/mycr                                                                                                                                                             oft/client/text/main.py", line 67, in main
    event_thread.exit()
AttributeError: 'Thread' object has no attribute 'exit'

The core version of 0.8.1 and python2.7 items jumped out at me current core version is 18.8.1 and we are definitly on python 3.x now.
@KathyReid may be able to shed some lights on this one.

Yah, that seems a bit outdated doesn’t it?!

Haha, my bad - i’ll fix that and get back to you guys… thanks a bunch!

• z
2 Likes

Okay, my bad - v18.8 runs alot smoother.

Thanks for the help every one.

-z

1 Like

Hi Team and fellow AI enthusiasts,

I was trying to get Mycroft working on my Pi. As I already had lot of stuff on my board instead of using PiCroft I got the code from git and ran dev_setup.sh
Everything got installed as expected (had to struggle with USB microphone and 3.5jack audio out, but got them working now).

I am currently facing the same issue Mycroft responds only once (for the first time) and doesn’t respond after that.
In debug mode I see that bar that denotes mic input is hearing me sayin g"hey mycroft" and Mycroft responds when I type in questions.
I am running it on Python3.5 (the code was from the latest dev build after the recent pip issue).

Is there anything that I am missing. Please advise.

Thanks,
Sarath.D

My problem was solved by updating from v0.8 to v18.8 so I am sure a lot of things changed for me between those two versions - what version is the one you grabbed off git? maybe you got an older version? If you type to Mycroft does he respond more than once?

Hi @SarathDammala, welcome and thanks for giving Mycroft a go, and sorry to hear you’ve experienced a few glitches.

Just to clarify the symptoms here, can you please confirm;

• Which version of Mycroft you’re on - the current version is 18.8.3
  • The first time on boot, Mycroft “hears” the Wake Word and you hear a “ding” sound
  • But after the first time, Mycroft does not “hear” the Wake Word and does not respond.
  • The debugger is working OK

If the above is correct, then I suspect that;

• PulseAudio is suspending the microphone and/or the speaker that Mycroft is using.
  • We have some audio troubleshooting tips that might work, however the other thing that might be worth checking is whether the load on the device is very high, using something like htop or top.

We also released 18.8.3 in the last few days, so it might be worth trying an update as well.