Is Neon reaching End of Life i.e. what should still work?

Neon OS issues…

• states it cannot check for updates
  • cannot give todays weather (or any weather)
  • takes for ever to state the current time (it does show the correct time on the display)
  • the ‘home’ screen does not show by default (you have to pull down on the menu and navigate to it manually on every reboot)
  • reboot doesn’t work by voice. Neon gives a message and code to confirm reboot, but once stated, correctly, it doesn’t reboot

Is Neon just stalled or is it going by the wayside the same as Mycroft OS?

None of that is known or expected. Have you reimaged lately? I seem to recall previous issues with your image, but I don’t recall the resolution.

I think it’s clear from the description that you’re in need of a reinstall, but whether it’s worth investigating how it got this way will depend on how long it’s been stuck this way.

These are issues I’ve seen with some older versions of Neon, but the latest stable is much better. I’d echo Chance’s suggestion to reimage, or at least update to latest.

The Neon team is also very open to feedback and suggestions in general.

I re-imaged a while back to verify I was on the latest version. Guess I will do it again. Seems like the Neon OS running from a USB is more fragile (in my experiences). I am running on the USB from Neon as well, so it is not a cheap no-name USB.

I am using a local DNS server (pi-hole) at my place and block direct DNS traffic from any host to eg 8.8.8.8 resolvers.
Both mycroft & neon images don’t seem to like that.
I had red leds turning on top. Had to force the image to accept my local dns instead of systemd-resolved.
After that the red circle disappeared and since it was then able to access the internet, it could find updates/weather and other fun things.
Could this be the case in your setup as well ?

I don’t have any specific changes from the default setup other than the network Neon is connected do blocks all non-North American IP traffic.

With that said, the issues with updating and weather only started happening in the last couple of months and the network setup has not changed during that time.

Can you login to neon with ssh and perform some commands ?
eg:
cd ~neon/logs/
grep -i error *.log
the output of that would be very interesting.
Probably best to copy & paste that to a pastebin service.
One that I use a lot (without ads) is https://p.bsd-unix.net/

Doesn’t mean it isn’t a bad stick.

(venv) neon@neon:~/logs$ grep -i error *.log
audio.log:2023-08-03 06:29:59.730 - audio - ovos_plugin_manager.templates.tts:_play:232 - ERROR - [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/run/shm/tts/CoquiTTS/default/en-us'
audio.log:FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/run/shm/tts/CoquiTTS/default/en-us'
audio.log:2023-08-03 06:30:11.079 - audio - ovos_plugin_manager.templates.tts:_play:232 - ERROR - [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/run/shm/tts/CoquiTTS/default/en-us'
audio.log:FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/run/shm/tts/CoquiTTS/default/en-us'
audio.log:2023-08-03 06:30:35.506 - audio - ovos_plugin_manager.templates.tts:_play:232 - ERROR - [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/run/shm/tts/CoquiTTS/default/en-us'
skills.log:2023-08-03 06:19:00.416 - skills - neon_utils.configuration_utils:get_neon_auth_config:1199 - ERROR - This method is deprecated
skills.log:2023-08-03 06:19:00.424 - skills - neon_api_proxy.controller:init_service_instances:72 - ERROR - No credentials found in default locations or path: /home/neon/
skills.log:2023-08-03 06:19:00.429 - skills - neon_api_proxy.controller:init_service_instances:72 - ERROR - No credentials found in default locations or path: /home/neon/
skills.log:2023-08-03 06:19:00.434 - skills - neon_api_proxy.controller:init_service_instances:72 - ERROR - No credentials found in default locations or path: /home/neon/
skills.log:2023-08-03 06:19:48.364 - skills - skill_update:_check_latest_core_release:118 - ERROR - No response from updater plugin
skills.log:2023-08-03 06:30:30.575 - skills - skill_update:_check_latest_core_release:118 - ERROR - No response from updater plugin

As a note, once I SSHed into Neon, the weather skill started working. Still can’t check for updates, but odd that the weather worked after connecting without any changes or commands being run.

Running anything from USB versus a drive will have a limited life span.

Generally speaking, and my two cents:
I would try to find an inexpensive SSD and switch to that rather than using a USB stick. Overall the SSD is going to last longer than a USB.

From my own experience, I used to have raspberry pi running from a simple 16 GB USB stick (back in 2014 to 2016). Once the USB stick stops working, you have to replace it. Back then, WD offered a pi drive (old link that talks about it: Meet the 314GB PiDrive - Raspberry Pi).

Since then I try not to use a USB drive for any long term project.

End of my generally speaking.

There are two easy options:
Option 1
The folks from Neon have bootable SSD here: Neon AI OS Bootable SSD Drive for Mycroft Mark II (256GB) | Neon AI Personal Assistant - Now ChatGPT Powered! This does include a USB cable to connect to the SSD and the Mark II. Mine was able to stick to to the Mark II.

Option 2
As a backup to the SSD, I also purchased these two components from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HJZJI84/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As the Mark II is on my desk, I needed something a little more sturdy to old the drive (rather than having it affix on the back). I got this item to old the ssd: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016498CK0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Hope this helps

UPDATE: I used a different USB (faster gen 3.2) and the ‘current download’ (see below) Neon OS image worked as expected.

I told Neon to check for and then update as it stated the were about 16 builds newer version available and the update downloaded and installed does not work at all. It gets to the ‘Neon AI’ orange screen and just sits there. Pressing the button on the top shows the ‘notice’ outline around the main screen and it freezes.

Formatting the USB and going back to the ‘current download’ resolves the issues and it works again.

Good to hear that it is working for you.

The issue with USB drive has to do with the amount of writing the Mycroft/Neon will perform to the USB stick.

Reads generally don’t cause problems, but it is the writes that are going to lead to the rare and tear of the drive.

The usb stick can only have a limited amount of rewrites too (or reformat, etc).

Regards,

It shouldn’t have been an issue. I reformated it only 3 times. I realize they can go bad, but I have Sandisk ones I have used pretty heavily for over 8 years and they are still going strong.

The USB issue would still not explain why the latest version (as Aug 11th '23) has issues upgrading on a working USB (that works again when the prior version is put back on it).

Just downloaded, imaged, and setup Neon 2.0. Very nice so far. Speed is better and things are working well.

3 Likes