Having trouble installing my skill in ovos

I have installed ovos with docker, as per https://openvoiceos.github.io/community-docs/install_ovos_docker/, on a Pi4 running 64 bit Raspbian Lite.

I have created a skills.list file containing:

ovos-skill-volume 
ovos-skill-fallback-unknown 
ovos-skill-stop 
ovos-skill-personal 
ovos-skill-naptime 
ovos-skill-date-time
ovos-skill-weather 
ovos-skill-hello-world 
git+https://github.com/WhyNine/tvheadend-radio-skill.git

I have also enabled debug in the mycroft.cong file.

I can see that my skill (and the others listed) installed as this was in the ovos_core log file:

Installing collected packages: TvheadendRadio, ovos-skill-hello-world, ovos-skill-fallback-unknown, tzlocal, numpy, future, decorator, timezonefinder, ratelim, geocoder, ovos-skill-volume, ovos-skill-weather, ovos-skill-stop, ovos-skill-personal, ovos-skill-naptime, ovos-skill-date-time
  DEPRECATION: TvheadendRadio is being installed using the legacy 'setup.py install' method, because it does not have a 'pyproject.toml' and the 'wheel' package is not installed. pip 23.1 will enforce this behaviour change. A possible replacement is to enable the '--use-pep517' option. Discussion can be found at https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/8559
  Running setup.py install for TvheadendRadio: started
  Running setup.py install for TvheadendRadio: finished with status 'done'
  DEPRECATION: future is being installed using the legacy 'setup.py install' method, because it does not have a 'pyproject.toml' and the 'wheel' package is not installed. pip 23.1 will enforce this behaviour change. A possible replacement is to enable the '--use-pep517' option. Discussion can be found at https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/8559
  Running setup.py install for future: started
  Running setup.py install for future: finished with status 'done'
Successfully installed TvheadendRadio-0.1 decorator-5.1.1 future-0.18.3 geocoder-1.38.1 numpy-1.25.2 ovos-skill-date-time-0.2.2 ovos-skill-fallback-unknown-0.0.3 ovos-skill-hello-world-0.0.3 ovos-skill-naptime-0.2.2 ovos-skill-personal-0.0.3 ovos-skill-stop-0.2.1 ovos-skill-volume-0.0.1 ovos-skill-weather-0.0.1a13 ratelim-0.1.6 timezonefinder-5.2.0 tzlocal-5.0.1

However when I launch ovos-cli and type “:skills”, my skill (tvheadend-radio-skill) is not included.

I had to create setup.py file in the tvheadend-radio-skill git to get it to install at all.

Why is my skill not being run, even though it installed?

Hey @whynine,

Unfortunately you’ve run up against the one major piece of compatibility that OVOS did not maintain. Mycroft’s CommonPlay isn’t supported. It’s instead replaced by OCP, OVOS Common Play.

The documentation is in a time of transition but here’s a primer on how to write OCP skills. That should help with getting your skill in a state that will run in OVOS Docker containers:

Apologies for the inconvenience. Everything else should be fully backwards compatible!

2 Likes

@whynine o/

As a side note, the ovos-cli-client is not really maintained anymore, please have a look here: roadmap · Issue #14 · OpenVoiceOS/ovos-cli-client · GitHub

Its temporary replacement is mana, already part of the ovos_cli container.

But I think the issue seems related to the skill itself, I tried to install it and I don’t see it loading.

1 Like

After updating briefly the skill to make it more compatible with OVOS, I was able to make it load (not working) and list it via ovos-cli-client.

2023-09-08 18:50:19.415 - skills - ovos_workshop.skill_launcher:_communicate_load_status:506 - INFO - Skill tvheadend_radio_skill.whynine loaded successfully

I sent a quick PR to allow you to see the changes made.

Feel free to join the OpenVoiceOS - Docker channel for a more interactive help :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Thanks for all the help. I naively assumed that there was compatibility between Mycroft and ovos skills :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

I will work on making it work with OCP

1 Like

A lot of them still compatible but OCP is a very special case. :upside_down_face:

We were committed to total backwards compatibility for a few years, but there came a point when it was just hamstringing us to save a handful of migrations a year.