Cannot ssh into the mycroftai-docker-mycroft-1

I’ve installed the mycroftai-docker-mycroft-1 container on my Synology and I would like to SSH into that. The first time SSH asked me to create a ‘fingerprint’ yes/no and I said ‘yes’. Now when I SSH into the container with ssh mycroft@mycroft it asks for a password which of course I don’t know. Who knows what to do?

Hey @PaulSinnema!

Mycroft has unfortunately been reduced to a skeleton crew and the software hasn’t been touched in a while. Neon, their partner, has taken over software operations for the Mark 2 device. Neon is built on OVOS, which is a fork of Mycroft with many of the features you’re looking for.

For more details about Mycroft situation please read FAQ: OVOS, Neon, and the Future of the Mycroft Voice Assistant

Give this a try: GitHub - OpenVoiceOS/ovos-docker: Open Voice OS container images and docker-compose.yml files for x86_64 and aarch64 CPU architectures.

Please reach out with questions as you get going and feel free to join us on Matrix for more rapid responses: You’re invited to talk on Matrix

Thanks for the reply.

Can’t make heads or tails of the links you sent me. Do I need to build the image for Docker myself? Is it in a working state? I do understand it is still supported by the Ovos team, right?

Too complex for my liking. Many containers in Docker that somehow work together. And I haven’t even considered the next step, how to get sound too/from the services (hardware). And it’s all new terrain for me.

The Mark II is too expensive for me too. The Mark I doesn’t exist anymore. It seems this is not a solution for me after all. Too bad, I really thought I had found an on-premise solution for my voice assistant.

Nop, images are already build for Open Voice OS, please see Images and volumes - Open Voice OS Container Documentation

Installation process is described here Core components - Open Voice OS Container Documentation

Sound requirements are described here Sound system - Open Voice OS Container Documentation

Open Voice OS is running on x86_64 and aarch64 hardware not only Mark 1 and Mark II hardware.

The names of the images do not correspond with the names in the documentation. When I search for ‘ovos_messagebus’, I don’t find anything. The link at the top of the article leads me to ‘SmartGic’ repo. Below an example of what I do find. Is this for example the message-bus I would need to run?

Will this installation work on Synology. Any thoughts on that?

The explanation of the installation process is for a CLI based system. Synology does all that via a graphical interface called ‘Container Manager’ (formerly: Docker). It does give me some control but I cannot use the ‘docker’ commands as described.

• ovos_messagebus is a container name
  • ovos-messagebus is an image name

I don’t think Synology will support Open Voice OS as you need to have a microphone and speakers connected into it.

Our Assistant runs as a number of system services. They aren’t all necessary in order to have a functional assistant. We can run them as a suite of different containers, which is too complex for your liking, or we could offer a whole bunch of different containers, and make less sophisticated users choose the one that has the services they need.

We’ve decided to be too complex for your liking.

Ah, ok, I had the impression that the system could be used as a central server to which satellite boxes, running the Soundsystem, can handle requests and reponses.

It may be that my English is not good enough to express what I feel. When I said: "too complex for my liking’ I might have expressed myself wrong. Better would have been: "it’s possibly too complex for me to comprehend’.

Early versions of that exist as a suite of add-ons. Our hacker types use it constantly, but it’s far from ready for end users (I would characterize it as early alpha.)

I’ve been in IT for 47 years and now retired. Most of my experience is on Windows Systems. The last 15 years I’ve been a .Net Developer, coding in C#. The realm you work in is outside of my comfort zone, meaning a steep learning curve to follow. My guess is that Synology is not the right platform to run Ovos on. And maybe I should stick to what I do know.

In any case, thank you for taking the time to try and make me understand what it takes to use Ovos.

2 Likes

Join us on You're invited to talk on Matrix for a more interactive chat, we will be happy to help you.

1 Like

@PaulSinnema I’m from Neon AI, and we agree, it’s unfortunate how expensive the Mark II ended up being. We’re working toward cheaper future platforms. First up, we’re working on getting our more end-user friendly OS running on an Orange Pi.
Please check back here for news about that, or I can add you to my user mailing list if you’d like - I send things only about once a month, and I will certainly announce when we get an alternate platform running.

If you’d like to share what your first language is, we may be able to connect you with a community member who is also fluent, to make support easier. :slight_smile: