Can I use `Alan` (Piper) model for commercial purposes?

Dear sir or madam,

I am glad to see the progress you have on Piper system, it is impressive idea and implementation. Right now I am working with it and I am interested in use of Alan (rhasspy/piper-voices at main). Unfortunately I am struggling to find any information about License and usage of model, which is important as I am working on commercial project. Could you please clarify whether I can use Alan for commercial purposes, and if yes, under what circumstances?

Thank you in advance,
Polina.

Hi Polina,

The link you’ve shared says that it’s MIT licensed. If I’m not mistaken, all of Piper is, although there is some discrepancy in that one of its components is AGPL. I believe Mike Hansen said he’s planning to make that component optional to remove any potential dispute over the AGPL license.

The voices might not be part of Piper itself, but rather brought in from elsewhere under compatible licenses. @synesthesiam is the person to ask, but I don’t know if he’s still keeping up with this forum. Rhasspy isn’t a Mycroft derivative - more of a cousin - but we’re all up in each other’s code.

If he doesn’t answer that ping within a day or two, maybe ask again on GitHub.

Based on my conversations with Michael Lewis last year, voices derived from the Mycroft datasets should be CC-BY-SA as on the mimic3-voices repo. I assume this is still the case, but I can’t be sure :confused:

2 Likes

Thank you so much! I suppose I would include this model for now, however I will be checking from time-to-time to see if anything changes.

1 Like