OpenVoiceOS - A bare minimal (production type of) OS based on Buildroot

I guess this has nothing todo with the OS?

I posted in the wrong tab. Sorry :expressionless:

Just discovered this especially to run Mycroft and Squeezelite together on one Pi.

Can’t wait for the next release and a big thumbs up for your great work @j1nx !

2 Likes

I’m looking at uppdating, what is the latest (reasonable stable) version, and where do I find it?

Apologies, we have all been crazy busy with other stuff lately. The current image is not really in a distributable state.

Hopefully in the upcoming weeks we will be able the fix the last couple of things to be able to “shove it over the fence”.

1 Like

No problem. We know that and understand it, of course. Nevertheless, I look forward to every update and every post in this thread.

Can’t wait to test the fixes. :slight_smile:

Hi, First of all I just want to to say - Great project and nice work so far! I was wondering if there is still support for the rpi3b version? I have a old unit at home that I would like to test your alpha with if possible? Do you still provide any pre-compiled images since the github only seems to support rpi4 as target when you try to build it. Looking forward to following the development of this project.

this seems to be the link "Picroft - Mycroft AI for the picroft image …
IIRC the image is ‘kinda’ left at that date - work is focusing on the Mark II for a production unit to come out this year…

That’s Picroft. This here’s a community project now officially called OpenVoiceOS. Can’t change the thread title, afaik.

@Anders_Tilander j1nx will probably update “today” (current UTC time not quite tomorrow)

edit: update the thread. idk about an image.

Yea I noticed the GitHub was updated but only the readme.md from what I could see. But still there seems only to be support for rpi4 as target hardware. Is the development for rpi3 halted so that I should invest in a rpi4 instead?

Raspberry Pi 3 support is still on the planning / roadmap, however for the moment the RPi4 is used during the development.

As soon as the upcoming beta1 is released it will be rebuild for rpi3.

Have a hard time track down the latest build. Is it still apha8? since i remember testing it late last year. (might be wrong) And there were mentions about new releases since then. (and big functionality pushes, yet those might be still on develop)

Should i build one myself in the meantime?

I’ve updated the thread title to avoid confusion

Thanks! I didn’t know you could do that. Should help a bunch.

Any timeline for the next release? I had an Rpi4 that went missing recently show up and it is looking for an application to run. :rofl:

Since it’s a spare-time project, to conserve dev time and minimize the amount of porting we need to do later, we’re trying to get OVOS working on the Mk2. I don’t have the equipment to run it on anything else, so I haven’t actually seen OVOS itself!

There are also some remaining issues with the the onboarding process, which I won’t get into here.

Somebody reading this is probably thinking, “Why don’t they show us the code and let us fix it?” OVOS says, “We will, starting Next Time!” You get one chance to make a good first impression, and if the first thing users encounter when they boot up their DIY smart speaker is a series of bugs, this will drive most end users away.

Somebody else reading this is thinking “Wait, Chance is an OVOS dev?” We are more than just the OS! I might also be our Gez. Hard to say at this point.

1 Like

Well if you need someone to do some trials, testing, reporting before release. With no warranty expected or implied feel free to reach out.

It’s getting there :wink: we will be asking for testers soon enough

the github org should give an idea of some things we are working on, besides the OS itself there are a bunch of tools and frameworks, soon even an appstore

all of us working in OVOS are also knee deep into other mycroft projects (like the hivemind and mycroft-gui) so OVOS has been going into the backburner more than we would like…

be a little patient and we will get there soon!

1 Like

Standalone Components Hit Alpha

OVOS Skill Manager v0.0.8

Featuring the OVOS Skills Store, the Mycroft Marketplace, and more!

The OpenVoiceOS Skill Manager (osm) is OVOS’ equivalent of msm, but it can also be used on any Mycroft device, and coexists with MSM.

Some Mycroft-based projects host their Skills in repositories other than the Mycroft Marketplace. OSM unifies these in a single Skill Manager!

As of v0.0.8, OSM can search for and install Skills from the following repositories and marketplaces (most are disabled by default):

• Soft announcement: OVOS Skills Store! It’s been there a while, but I don’t think we’ve pointed it out to you guys before.
  • Mycroft Marketplace
  • Pling
  • NeonGecko
  • @andlo’s Big List (super dangerous, super cool)

It is important to note that only Skills on the official Mycroft Marketplace have been vetted by the Mycroft Skill Review team, with which we are not affiliated. The only repo the OVOS team controls is the OVOS Skill Store, which is not restricted to our Skills.

Andlo’s list is a GitHub crawler. It’s everything a robot found on GitHub that looked like a Mycroft skill. This is a very cool way to find unlisted Skills, and OSM makes it easy to install them. It is not safe, however, to install random skills without checking them out.

You can think of enabling a marketplace or app store as the Mycroft equivalent of enabling a repo on a jailbroken iOS device, or adding PPAs to aptitude. Use common sense. If you don’t know a Skill’s author, investigate the Skill before you install it.

We are eager for testers and feedback! It’s early, and some idiot left the interface in a sorry state :wink: but please enjoy it anyway! As always, break it, show us the pieces, and break it some more. Give that Create Issue button some love, and watch the repo for further releases!

(P.S. for those handful of you who helped with versions 0 through 0.0.7, thanks! it works now :see_no_evil:)

5 Likes

Project Updates

(Two weeks seems like long enough.)

Discussions enabled at the OVOS repo

We have enabled discussions at one of our repositories (OVOS itself.) For those unfamiliar, it’s kind of like a forum under a GitHub repository. This is intended for all of the projects under the OpenVoiceOS org, not just the OS itself.

We’ll continue to post announcements, answer questions, and solicit feedback in this thread, and we’re individually available on MycroftAI’s chat server (see top of page.) But, for the foreseeable future, if you’d like to observe or participate in discussion about OpenVoiceOS or any of our software, that link :point_up: is a nice, organized place to do it, rather than shoving it all in a single forum thread :wink:

Feel free to keep posting here, though. Especially if you don’t have a GitHub account.

OVOS team adopts informal versioning practice

The OVOS team is adopting a “get-ahead” versioning practice. Build numbers - such as the 1 in v0.0.9a1, - will go up with every single PR. Among other things, it should now be easier for testers to run latest without having to pip install --force.

OSM v0.0.9 dev cycle begins with bugfix

If you tried to install OSM v0.0.8 using pip, you may have encountered a fatal packaging flaw. This has been resolved, and version 0.0.9a1 has been released.

The packaging flaw made it through testing because the package was not tested on a clean system. This is an example of something that could and should have been caught by CI. We don’t have CI yet. As we continue to implement tooling, this kind of bug will be easier to catch.

Pi4/DIY Build Status

At last count, there are 3 problems blocking prealpha. One concerns the installer skill. The others concern onboarding (what happens at first boot.) Good progress continues to be made.

Mk2 Build Status

Bon Jovi lyrics. Also Chance’s daily, uhh, motor scooter?

Misc.

• Onboarding lets you choose the local backend. Downside: On-device GUI config has not been implemented. Neither has voice config. Gotta use ssh. If this is meaningless to you, carry on.
  • The homescreen is gorgeous. @aix has done his usual, incredible GUI work, pairing a beautifully aligned readout with a swipe-down menu in our shade of red. You’re gonna like the way we look. I guarantee it.
  • A third bullet point seems necessary for aesthetics.

I leave you with an amusing anecdote in one sentence:

Holy crap, the Mk2’s audio board is loud if you don’t impose a software limit!

(I’M CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET AND NEED TO BE PAIRED :speech_balloon: :loudspeaker: :ear:)

2 Likes