OpenVoiceOS - A bare minimal (production type of) OS based on Buildroot

oh sorry, yes //20 chars

Strange because I renamed the skill a while ago. Perhaps both are now included by accident. Will have a look.

All, please hold of with downloading the last alpha9 version till further notice*

Ok, when will a new version be avalible? I had 0.9 downloaded but not installed, or is it the latest Pi4 64 version?

I might have time to sit down with this tonight/tomorrow, or else it will be on monday, so if there is a newer version going up, I will wait for it.

This is the last complete clean build with updated kernel and drivers/firmware;
https://j1nx.stackstorage.com/s/BOhbo546nAbKkAgc

However not yet tested by myself, which I can’t yet for a few hours. But I would say, give it a spin if you like.

EDIT: Gave it a quick test run and looks good on my side. Updated the uncompressed image file as well
https://j1nx.stackstorage.com/s/f8AtgzLJrJVbC8U0

Yeah, after making multiple SD cards, it finally booted, kind of…
(I never got any picture on the screen, but the light turned on behind the black screen)
It booted and created the Mycroft WiFi, I connected to it with my computer and it found my WiFi’s at home, but I could not choose any of them???
I don’t have passwords on them, so I left password blank, but it could still not connect.

I finally gave up and borrowed a network cable from my TV and connected it that way, that worked and I got to register it on the mycroft page.

It did listen to me, I did install a couple of skills, they worked, (although the time was waay wrong, and it didn’t correct itself) so I told it to shutdown, it replyed “Do you want me to shutdown” and I replyed “Yes” aaaaaand nothing happens.

After half an hour, I pull the plug on it, remove the network cable and try to restart it.
Now it’s dead.

I will make another SD card tomorrow in case it got corrupted some way, and get a longer network cable so I don’t have to sit behind the TV.

I’m not tech enough to get this thing working…
I’m feeling like I am talking to HAL, asking it to open the pod bay doors…
I might name it HAL

You’ve got a variety of affirmatives here. There’s a problem in general with “Yes” :wink: Not necessary MycroftOS’ cup of tea

Well, my “Yes” worked fine when installing skills, but all of a sudden it wouldn’t listen to me, I’m leaning more towards the singularity, it got concious and a mind of it’s own.

I have tryed a couple of more times, now I have Mycroft OS on every single SD card I own, and none of them works, atleast not without network cable.

A couple of questions, does it matter how big SD card I use?
I have one 64GB and one 32GB.
Atleast one of them worked fine with Noobs/Rasbian on it.

Another question, the WiFi, do I need to use a WiFi with a password, since it seems to not accept leaving the password blank when setting upp the WiFi.

If I have time tomorrow I will buy a network cable (and probably a new WiFi router too, since the 2 I have are old as F and needs to be replaced anyway)

If I buy a new router, I could set it up with password if that is needed for Mycroft to accept it.

And lastly, why doesn’t the screen get any picture?
It would be soo much easyer if I could see what is happening (or not) and I’m not sure I can connect via a terminal (I’m a total noob)

64 gb if you want to host PyPi :clown_face:
Kidding. I would be shocked if 8 GB cap will be broken in the foreseeable future.

1 Like

Right, thanks for that as bug report. Checked the wifi-connect application and you are right. Blank password is/was a problem but it also is already fixed by those guys;

I also saw that they now also have a password visibility toggle implemented which was another task on the bug list, reported a while ago;

I will merge both code changes and it will be fixed within the next version.

This sounds like a bad SD card indeed.

Unfortunately the forums slowly getting filled with reports of exactly this type of behaviour. You are however the first MycroftOS user reporting it. Good to know, because I know now to push harder in reproducing it to hopefully find out what it is exactly.

The current OS is around 2 GB in size and autoexpands at first boot. In the future when i will dig into the updater code, I would like to mirror the OS on disk so you can always revert back to the previous working state. But now worries I will most likely don’t go over the minimal SD card size of 8GB.

As far as i understand things voc_match is initiating it but the problems are burried in the selene backend (how stt is handled)

Well, did a shopping run and got a network cable, new SD card, new WiFi Router and set to get this working.

I got it up and running, and since my new router got a password by default, I got it to connect to it, so I didn’t need the cable.

I still don’t get any pictures on the screen, but the backlight works
The screen works in Raspian OS/NOOBS installer, so it is not a broken screen.

It still reports the time totally wrong, I have set the location to sweden, but if I ask it gives me a time that is 7h wrong, if I ask what the time is in Sweden, it gives me the right time (or any other location)

And the spotify skill does not work, might be a problem with Spotify though.

Yeah, also, the sound is very low, even with it set to 100%, i use a couple of computer speakers that has loads of volume when I run raspbian, but I never get it that loud in Mycroft.

1 Like

Great feedback. On the move now so typing on my phone, but will get back to you asap.

Quick question, could you try another city as location and see if it helps?

If i remember correctly then ticking the “show digital clock when idle” on Home got things going. (+reboot)

This is not a solution! It just get the synchronization going. This was reverted by me pretty instantaniously, because it causes other problems.

Yet maybe a hint how to get past that problem

(But speaking of .9 (old) and things might have changed since then)

Yep, tried to set the “show digital clock when idle” (not that I had any hope of the screen working anyway) and reboot, it still refuses to reboot, but it stopped listening so I guess it halted halfway this time) I might have to do a janitor-reset (pull the plug)

I greatly appreciate the help I get, and the work put into this project, and I have gotten much further then I expected in getting this working.

EDIT:
Did the janitor-reset, and after a while it gives the correct time!

Guess then you should be glad your screen isn’t working, since there are things happening you wouldn’t like :wink:

Maybe this related to the bug of over written mycroft.conf but let me first dig into the screen issue.

Can you link the exact acreen you have? Webshop, type, manufacturer site or something. Then I can google a bit on what to do and / or if I miss something.

So. New image. (not yet).9 new version
RPi4/respV2/LAN/smartTV

Firstrun:
gui
no visible problems until pairing. If pairing is done skills will be installed. Triggered by himself gui stays in voice processing screen -blue ball circling - indefinitly (loops there).

skills.log
after one websocket refuse - connected -> MSM -> skills install
33 Warnings because there is no paket manager (all depenencies pre fetched?)

2020-10-02 17:24:40.020 | ERROR    |   384 | msm.mycroft_skills_manager | Error running install_or_update on skill-mycroftos-gui: MergeConflict (understandable)
2020-10-02 17:24:45.920 | ERROR    |   384 | msm.mycroft_skills_manager | Error running install_or_update on skill-volume: MergeConflict
2020-10-02 17:24:46.621 | ERROR    |   384 | msm.mycroft_skills_manager | Error running install_or_update on skill-mycroftos-enclosure: MergeConflict (understandable)

padatious Training: Some objects timed out while training

Suspicious: no further updating/iterating over configs/skills/etc (-> stuck in loop problem?)

The other logs (+err) don’t report anything suspicious, yet out of curiosity, what is enclosure doing with the volume?

to be coninued…

1 Like

Jup, all known intermediate Work In Progress things I am currently working on and the reason I have not yet “officially” released alpha9 as alpha9.

Little announcement: For Trademark / Wordmark reasons, I have to distanciate a bit more from Mycroft and therefor in progress of renaming MycroftOS to OpenVoiceOS - Mycroft Edition.

Mentioned it on chat: If you want additional coverage for sv-se/ro-ro/pt-br/nl-nl/it-it/fr-fr/es-es/el-gr/da-dk/de-de for the finished booting skill you should

mycroft-msm install https://github.com/devs-mycroft/skill-finished-booting.git
cd /opt/mycroft/skills/skill-finished-booting.devs-mycroft 
git checkout -b translations origin/translations

EDIT: Oh, just saw that “finished booting” isn’t voiced/triggered by the skill

Maybe another suggestion. (that’s not in the library) Would you consider this skill baseline?