Neon AI v2.0 beta upgrade failed

The latest update to Neo AI v2.0 on my Mark II failed.
I took a picture because I couldn’t figure out anything else I could do if it wouldn’t boot up

I’ve re-imaged my SSD and all is fine but I thought I should ask if it is just me, or if I missed something.

This is how I got to the point before the issue

• I downloaded the latest recommended Neon AI 2.0 image and used the Raspberry Pi imager to put it on the SSD.
  • after initial set up, I switched to the beta channel and updated (this was a few days ago), all well so far
  • this may be unrelated but I noticed that my Mark II would no longer play music stored on a usb drive. I tried shutting down and restarting with the usb drive unplugged and then plugging it in. Didn’t seem to make any difference.
  • this morning 31 Aug 7AM UK time I noticed an alert on the home screen that an update was available, I gave the instruction to update … the first time the Mark II came back saying there was a problem and that the update didn’t complete and offered to try again. I said yes.
  • I went off to do something else … and came back to my Mark II showing the shell and a bunch of errors and something about the usb drive.
  • I unplugged the usb drive and tried again and this time it failed to start, last message ‘kernel panic’ … a few messages back, there is something about an update not completing.

Sorry for the long message and if this forum isn’t the right place then please point me in the right direction.

I’m up and running again but looking for some advice

• if I switch to the beta channel and update am I likely to see the same issue?
  • do I need to remove usb drives (other than the SSD) when restarting?
  • should Neon AI v 2.0 be able to play mp3s stored on a usb drive?

Thanks

Patrick

• do I need to remove usb drives (other than the SSD) when restarting?

Answering one of my own questions

• plug the system SSD or USB into the left hand blue usb socket
  • other usb drives for music shouldn’t cause an issue provided the system SSD or USB is in the right socket
    this thread

Mark II won't boot - #25 by mikeonh

Hi @postman, I’m sorry I missed this! How are you doing now?
Responses:

• if I switch to the beta channel and update am I likely to see the same issue?
    → No, although the beta channel is a place we try new things, so it’s always more likely you’ll encounter issues using those versions. Please let us know when you do, and we’ll get on top of fixing them. I recall Daniel having to fix something in the update process back around the time of your comment, and it’s been running fine for me now on the beta track.
  • should Neon AI v 2.0 be able to play mp3s stored on a usb drive?
    → Yes, absolutely. Is it doing that successfully for you again now? If not, please try to do it so that the failure appears in the logs, and then have Neon “create a troubleshooting report” and email it to me so that we can figure out what’s going on and fix it.

Thank you!

Hi Clary, no worries, all good!

• OK I might give the beta channel another try. What’s the best way to raise any issues if I come across any?

• I can play mp3s from a usb drive now ( I came across the instructions about which socket to use for the system SSD)

Thanks

Patrick