Mycroft servers down, any quick and dirty trick?

Hi,
long time picroft user here.
as we all know, mycroft.ai servers died recently.
Is there any way of pointing mycroft instance to ovos or neon servers? (like yaml config changes) ?

The reason I’m asking is, it was a real PITA to configure mycroft on RPI3, to make him use logitech webcam as his microphone, and 3.5" analog jack speaker as his speaker, then configuring all skills like openhab smart home integration etc…
also I’m running some other small services on that machine, so would like to avoid running it over with OVOS image and starting from scratch

If there is any way to upgrade existing mycroft software on top of raspbian OS without running over the entire machine, would be grateful for the info…

1 Like

There isn’t, unfortunately. OVOS doesn’t have servers - everything runs on-device. The RaspOVOS image should pick up everything you just mentioned except the small additional services. If that doesn’t work for you, the ovos-installer can be run over any Debian or Fedora based distro to get it working with systemd services (venv option) or docker compose (container option).

There are lots of folks available to help with the cutover, both here and in Matrix chat.

2 Likes

We do but only for TTS and STT.

3 Likes

you can try to trick your picroft devices as a short term solution

https://openvoiceos.github.io/ovos-technical-manual/personal_backend/#classic-mycroft-devices

1 Like

thanks for all the answers!
so, this local ovos-backend, what does it do, STT?
When I eventually run OVOS rpi image, this backend will be there by default, or by default mycroft goes to ovos servers for STT? (stt i mean to decipher what I am telling him right?)

There is no backend requirement with OVOS as it was for Mycroft AI.

1 Like

it would replace selene and trick picroft into thinking the mycroft server exists, but it isnt really required for anything

i suggest moving away from mycroft completely, but if you must remain on mycroft-core this is the way to keep devices alive. Server side you still need to add api keys for wolfram alpha and open weather map for those skills, and use a STT plugin.

All this is done on device when using OVOS

1 Like

so, OVOS can function offline?
yeah, i will go with clean OVOS image for rpi3
(GitHub - OpenVoiceOS/raspOVOS: Run ovos ontop of RaspberryPiOS)

as pip install ovos-local-backend failed for me, and getting docker version also failed (i think docker image is too big and small PI3 is trying to extract it to ram and fails) and I am not putting too much effort in temporary workaround, as in that case i can go with fresh start with raspOVOS, then at least I know I’m investing my time towards a good cause :slight_smile:

1 Like

https://ovosimages.ziggyai.online/raspbian/newest

This headless image runs well on a pi3

2 Likes

what tts and stt do you use?
i managed to make my own mycroft backend before the mycroft.ai went down.

Here is a list of existing TTS/STT supported by the OVOS/Neon community

you use default stt and tts?

I use TTS Polly and Chromium STT.

i managed to make mycroft backend services working on my own server.
do you still trying with mycroft?

Not for the past year, I’m running OVOS.