Mycroft on Respeaker Core V2

On my way to my own Mark-IIr

3D printing of housing is finished. Now some glueing and soldering while start-stop-watching the assembly video

A big thank you to @derick-mycroft for providing the STL files!

4 Likes

Very cool !

Which screen did you choose?

This a Mark-IIR which does not have a built-in screen.

When everything works out fine i am planning to add a Waveshare 4.3" LCD (the same that is used for the Mark-II-RPI)

Ah, right! Didn’t do my homework :smiley:

Hope to get my hand on one of those boards myself sooner then later. Read good things about it. Looking forward to you build log :wink:

First of all, thank you for the hard work Dominik :slight_smile: ,

I have the problem that the respeaker core v2 doesn’t record, the mic and bluetooth speakers working fine, the mic Level goes up and seems to be fine and I checked alsamixer too.

I have to mention after the first Installation it worked fine, but on the next morning when I started the respeaker it didn’t work anymore properly and I didn’t change anything.

When I start the debug Mode, it doesn’t show any error I don’t know what to do or where to look :).

Can please someone help me i’m a beginner, thanks :).

Hi Dominik,

Also want to thank you for your great work.
I’ve had a respeaker core V2.0 for over a year and wanted to use it on a robotics command and control project I’ve been working on for a while.
Mycroft has come a long way and seems like a great active project, which is why I thought it would be great to try installing it on the respeaker core V2.0.

I worked through your installation instructions, and it seemed to be working, but then it stopped once it was authenticated to the main server.
I now start it and get nothing, not even errors.

When I run the pulse audio test, it seems to record a file, but can not play.

It seems like the problem is with pulse audio, but I’m not sure where to start.

Thanks in advance!!!

2 Likes

Hi again,

I just reinstalled the respeaker package and that fixed things.
Not sure what happened, but I’m all good now.

1 Like

Good to hear a fresh install got it working.

Interested to see the broader project you’re working on sometime too :slight_smile:

A quick look at the robot. Charlie.
Hopefully voice commands will control most of the behavior.

3 Likes

Damn that looks like a beast! Looking forward to seeing it evolve :smiley:

Hi guys.

I’m having totally a lot of fun with the mycroft project now. Its awesome and runs well on my respeaker core V2.0.

I am having a little issue here, though…

I want to install a custom wake-word for the robot, and fudging around with precise looked a little daunting, so I am trying snowboy.
starting with the default snowboy.umdl file, and just altering the config. here is what I did…

“listener”: {
“wake_word”: “snowboy”
},

“hotwords”: {
“snowboy”: {
“module”: “snowboy”,
“local_model_file”: “home/respeaker/.mycroft/snowboy.umdl”,
“sensitivity”: 0.1
}
},

It seems to be using snowboy now, but the problem is that it is triggered all the time.
Any little sound triggers the wake up, even when I reduce the sensitivity down to 0.1.

If anyone have played around with snowboy, this would be a great help, thanks in advance

OK, so I abandoned my quest to make snowboy work, and decided to use the CMUsphinx instead.

It mostly works, but it really was a necessity to get my robot to respond to its own name!

Here are the results:

1 Like

Wow, very cool!
I plan on building a Spotmicro, most likely in the OpenQuadruped design. Like Charlie robot with Mycroft integration of course.

2 Likes

Are you happening to use ROS for your robot? I’m building my own robot and am looking for a solution to integrate mycroft with ROS. There’s one package that I’ve found, http://wiki.ros.org/mycroft_ros, but it hasn’t had much love lately. I’m not sure there are others.

Yes, my Open-Quad robot will run with ROS - I am a ROS novice though. Thanks for the pointer to Mycroft-ROS.

Same here… its a bit of a big learning curve, but slowly I’m getting there. I finally have it reliably navigating through the doorway and down the hall. It’s my third generation build since the beginning of the year and it runs much better. Here’s a video of it (I had to blur family photos or my wife wouldn’t let me post it publicly)… cables are messy because its temporary installation until I get a Rock Pi X to run everything on it.

1 Like

I’m having an issue with the install. I followed the directions as precisely as I can (twice) and both times after running:

cd ~/mycroft-core
./start-mycroft.sh debug

I get the following error message:

respeaker@v2:~/mycroft-core$ ./start-mycroft.sh debug
Already up-to-date.
Starting all mycroft-core services
Initializing…
Starting background service bus
CAUTION: The Mycroft bus is an open websocket with no built-in security
measures. You are responsible for protecting the local port
8181 with a firewall as appropriate.
Starting background service skills
Starting background service audio
Starting background service voice
Starting background service enclosure
Starting cli
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/lib/python3.5/runpy.py”, line 193, in _run_module_as_main
main”, mod_spec)
File “/usr/lib/python3.5/runpy.py”, line 85, in _run_code
exec(code, run_globals)
File “/home/respeaker/mycroft-core/mycroft/client/text/main.py”, line 21, in
from .text_client import (
File “/home/respeaker/mycroft-core/mycroft/client/text/text_client.py”, line 21, in
from mycroft.tts import TTS
File “/home/respeaker/mycroft-core/mycroft/tts/init.py”, line 20, in
from .tts import TTSFactory, TTS, TTSValidator, PlaybackThread
File “/home/respeaker/mycroft-core/mycroft/tts/tts.py”, line 467, in
class TTSFactory:
File “/home/respeaker/mycroft-core/mycroft/tts/tts.py”, line 473, in TTSFactory
from mycroft.tts.mimic_tts import Mimic
File “/home/respeaker/mycroft-core/mycroft/tts/mimic_tts.py”, line 40, in
import distutils.spawn
File “”, line 969, in _find_and_load
File “”, line 958, in _find_and_load_unlocked
File “”, line 666, in _load_unlocked
File “”, line 577, in module_from_spec
File “/home/respeaker/mycroft-core/.venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages/_distutils_hack/init.py”, line 82, in create_module
return importlib.import_module(‘._distutils’, ‘setuptools’)
File “/usr/lib/python3.5/importlib/init.py”, line 126, in import_module
return _bootstrap._gcd_import(name[level:], package, level)
File “”, line 981, in _gcd_import
File “”, line 931, in _sanity_check
SystemError: Parent module ‘setuptools’ not loaded, cannot perform relative import
respeaker@v2:~/mycroft-core$

Any suggestions?

There was recently a major update to mycroft-core (20.2.5), maybe that did break something - I haven’t fired up my RC2 in the last few days, so I might have missed some incompatibility - will check that later…

found this solution:

export SETUPTOOLS_USE_DISTUTILS=stdlib

from this page:

1 Like

So I have some new issues. I’m having a hard time getting it to survive a reboot. I started from scratch and just loaded respeaker after getting connect to the network (no upgrade/update because for whatever reason, doing so breaks firefox), made the configuration changes, and did an audio test and it works. If I reboot, and do the audio test, it seems to record something, but its squeaks instead of clear voices. Any idea what could be going wrong?